Thursday, August 27, 2009

To Find a Journal- Assignment 1

The air has finally cooled down by the time I decide to make my first solo trip around Kreuzberg. I keep my head down, observing the uneven brick, surprised every time I notice a Stolpersteine. They glisten even after layers of dirt have swept over their surface and I can still read the name 5 feet and 8 inches above the ground off of a 3 by 3 inch square. I know where Ida Rosen used to live. My day dreaming mind is snapped back into focus when a speeding, red bike sends a deceivingly loud bell my way. The automatic doors of the market send a breeze of air conditioning in my direction. The aroma of freshly baked bread brings me to a comfort and a feeling like I might be getting the hang of Germany and I might just be blending in. Aisle after aisle I chuckle in my head when I see a product I’m familiar with I can only tell by the packaging and no way what it says on the label. Mund wäscht equals mouth wash. Milch equals milk. Plätzchen equals cookies. Everything here but a journal. I ask a woman who appears to work there, “do you have any notebooks” as I pretend for my hands to be a notebook opening and closing. I get a blank stare and a Deutsch response. I make my way to the next market. I walk in, “Hallo!” and walk right out, “Tschüss!” Now irritated, lost and confused I decide to be brave and take the U-bahn to Alexanderplatz. I wait not so patiently in the underground station. People are dispersed evenly with minimal conversation. I hope on, tune into my iPod and wait two stops. I get off and follow the crowds down the stairs since I don’t know where to go. Something makes me stop. I’m overcome with a familiar smell, a smell that is too close to home. There it is, the golden arches. I do a walk by and see that McDonald’s does not have a dollar menu. I’m irritated all over again. I go into the first store I see that might sell journals. It happens to be an overpriced souvenir shop. My eyes quickly find a shelf of journals. I stare at them for about 30 seconds trying to decide what journal would be the best for me. My mind set changes and I realize, who am I kidding? What’s the cheapest? I prefer college ruled paper but I guess I can settle for wide ruled. The cover is a thick purple paper, covered in flowery velour. I like the purple. Finally satisfied I bring it to the counter and pull out my wallet. Do you take credit? Of course you don’t, no one does. 3.50 Euros later I’m in a better mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment