Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I Have Arrived

August 3
Day one is the beginning of my uncertainty and confusion about Europe. Walking down the street, finding similarities between Berlin and Seattle accidently, I pretend to feel like I’m at home. Bicyclists, sounds of a city, and of course, the rain. I am instantly reminded that I am far, far from home when speaking to the cashier of the corner café becomes a major challenge. Annoyed with realizing I now have sparkling water instead of normal water, I get ready for public transportation which has always been a struggle for me, whether the signs are in a foreign language or not. Blisters, good, exactly what I wanted for my first day of excursion in Berlin. Successfully arriving to Humboldt University, I think that the school smells like a college, looks like a college, yet a slightly older demographic than what I would expect in a college. The art seems unusual for a university. Tall white statues that are cracked and broken belong in a museum, not in a university.

No comments:

Post a Comment