Monday, August 24, 2009

Berlin or Istanbul?

August 17th

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I’ve never heard truer words. Analyzing every thought, feeling, emotion, reaction I have had since I have been in Berlin has me constantly questioning, do I love this city? I came to Berlin naïve and looking forward to have a memorable adventure but Berlin has taught me more than I anticipated. I subconsciously try to find similarities between Berlin and Seattle since I struggle to be out of my comfort zone. German is a language that I wish I became fluent in over night. I prefer tap water over carbonated water. I have a poor sense of direction. The Euro kicks the dollar’s ass and I have been on a 100 Euro a week routine. Yet all these things that make my experience possibly more difficult or annoying are also the things I have come to love. Berlin and Istanbul have been like two completely different men in my life, but I can only be in a relationship with one. Turkey showed me that I prefer Berlin’s stand offish ways over aggressive, ass-grabbing Istanbul. I can handle Berlin’s church bells on Sunday as long as he doesn’t start singing prayers at 5 AM everyday. I don’t mind that Berlin always has a Beck’s in hand all day with all activities because Istanbul’s Raki makes me want to gag with just the thought of it. Maybe Berlin tends to make me spend more money than I like, but Istanbul pushes me to buy things to a point where it’s just obnoxious.

Tesekkurler, Istanbul. You were fun but I’m in love with someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment