Monday, August 24, 2009

I'm in Love With Döners

August 11th

I fell in love with döners the second day I was in Berlin. I constantly crave them to a point where I don’t want a döner anymore, I need a döner. Not only do I love everything and anything that has to do with a döner but I also appreciate how every döner is slightly different than the next döner. I feel comfort when I can see the giant slab of lamb meat, rotating on a silver spit. There is just something about the toasted flatbread combined with perfectly cooked meat, topped with fresh lettuce, cabbage, onions, cucumber and tomatoes that warm my heart. Is it the perfect bread combined with perfect meat and perfect vegetables that make me feel like I cannot live without these delicious treats? No, no, no. It is actually the balance of hot sauce, herb sauce, curry sauce, garlic sauce, and yoghurt that create a heavenly bliss in my stomach where it yearns for more. It is usually not the case that all of these sauces are in one döner, and that’s what makes it surprising and different with every new döner experience. I can recall my first döner memory like it happened this morning. There I was, just walking along an average street, thinking I may go for some pizza or perhaps some Chinese but for some reason (and to this day I cannot explain why I had this gut instinct) I decided to walk up to this little Turkish restaurant and ordered the first thing on the menu. It was quickly made and I was memorized how the flatbread seemed to never fill up entirely, no matter how many things the man stuffed in there. I took my first bite and almost got weak in the knees. I could not eat it fast enough but I forced myself to slow down because I wanted savor every bite. I can’t help but smile when I think about döners. I think I’m going to get one right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment